Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Truth: I'm a Girl, I'm Smart and I Know Everything!

published by:  The Enchanted Self Press

From Goodreads:  THE TRUTH ... how do we carry the truth from girlhood to adulthood? That priceless truth that we all recognize as kids? How do we walk over that bridge into growing up, carrying the Truth? How do we not hide it? How do we not forget what it is? How do we recognize THE TRUTH in our children and help them carry their most precious selves into adulthood? What would the world be like if we could carry it with us into adulthood without damaging it? If we could pass the gift of early wisdom and brilliance along to our children, helping them to hold on to their most precious jewels? THE TRUTH, My Secret Diary, I'm Ten, I'm Smart and I Know Everything, is a delightful, humorous secret diary, written by a girl who is 10-11 years of age. She is wise and yet so innocent. She makes us cry and laugh and remember ourselves. Behind this very easy read is the psychological message to the women reading THE TRUTH that they can and must recapture the fire and passion of their girlhoods not only for themselves to flourish and be happy, but for the next generation to also have the gifts of good emotional and spiritual health.

I thought this was a pretty good for young girls.  I read through it fairly quickly and it was all easy to understand.  There was nothing inappropriate in there. 

It's written as a diary.  I think most young girls would probably enjoy it and relate to it.  I would recommend it to girls that are around 9 or 10 maybe a little older.  I gave this book to the girl that lives down the street who is 10 and she brought it back the next day saying she really liked it and could relate to the main character. 

My one little criticism about this book were the cultural references.  They were really outdated.  The TV shows and movies were very old.  There was one spot when the girls were "jitterbugging".  Really?  How many 10 year olds right now jitterbug?  I checked the publication date thinking maybe this was an old book, but it wasn't.  Published in 2007.  However, when I asked the girl who read the book about it, it didn't seem to bother her.  I don't think she got that these things were shows MY mom watched.  So, in the end I guess it doesn't really matter. 

You can see more about this book on The Truth for Girl's website.  Tomorrow I'll be featuring the next book Secrets.

**A note to our readers.  These will be the last children's books featured on this blog.  We started a new blog specifically for the books our kids are reading.  It's called Recess Readers.  We aren't quite started yet, but give us a week or so and we'll get it going.**

No comments: