Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Audiobook: Life by Keith Richards

by:  Keith Richards
published by:  Hachette Audio

With the Rolling Stones, Keith Richards created the songs that roused the world, and he lived the original rock and roll life.



Now, at last, the man himself tells his story of life in the crossfire hurricane. Listening obsessively to Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters records, learning guitar and forming a band with Mick Jagger and Brian Jones. The Rolling Stones' first fame and the notorious drug busts that led to his enduring image an outlaw folk hero. Creating immortal riffs like the ones in "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk Women." Falling in love with Anita Pallenberg and the death of Brian Jones. Tax exile in France, wildfire tours of the US, isolation and addiction. Falling in love with Patti Hansen. Bitter estrangement from Jagger and subsequent reconciliation. Marriage, family, solo albums and Xpensive Winos, and the road that goes on forever.


With his trademark disarming honesty. Keith Richard brings us the story of a life we have all longed to know more of, unfettered, fearless, and true.

I had really wanted to listen to this audiobook because it was narrated by Johnny Depp.  Who wouldn't want to listen to 23 hours of Johnny Depp no matter what he's talking about? 

The first couple of hours of this audiobook was all about listening to Johnny Depp read.  However, I quickly realized he's not really an awesome audiobook reader.  He didn't seem to get into the way a lot of audiobook readers do.  I know Keith and Johnny are friends and all, but I think Keef could have found someone else that would have done a much better job.  This isn't to say JD did a horrible job, I think he's just inexperienced in the world of reading books.  He was somewhat monotone and I think I expected far more "acting".

I found the story to be really interesting.  There's a little blurb in the beginning about how he remembers everything.  I find that a little hard to believe.  I can't hardly remember conversations I had yesterday, but this book has a lot of details that I'm sure I would have forgotten over the course of many decades.  Keith apparently kept a lot of journals and maybe that's why there are so many details.  I just had to wonder how much of it was really from his memory or from help from his "contributor" James Fox or help from any researchers or writing assistants. 

It was very well written.  I did eventually become more interested in the story than listening to reading.  There's a difference.  Know what I mean?  It made me want to learn how to play the guitar.  I think I could leave the rest of it, but it did inspire me to want to learn.

This audiobook and the hardcover are worth the purchase in my opinion.  It would probably make a good gift for the musician or Stones fan in your life...maybe even the Johnny Depp fan!

No comments: