Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Phantom Evil

Author: Heather Graham

Publisher: Mira Books (Harlequin)

A secret government unit is formed under the oversight of Adam Harrison, famed paranormal investigator. The six members he’s gathered know a little of the otherworldly—each has honed a psychic talent of their own.

Jackson Crow, part English, part Cheyenne, heads the group. Haunted by his experience with an ancestral ghost who saved his life as a child, and the recent murders of two previous teammates, Jackson can’t tell if Adam’s demoted him or given him an extraordinary opportunity. Despite his link to the realm of spirits, he’s well aware that the living commit the most heinous crimes, with spiritualist charlatans existing merely to fool and seduce the unwary.

To counterbalance Jackson’s careful skepticism, Adam Harrison has paired him with Angela Hawkins, a young woman who learned the painful lesson of loss at an early age. A police offi cer utilizing her paranormal intuition in Virginia, she already has her hands full. But Adam’s call to New Orleans is strong.

The case: In a historic mansion in New Orleans’s French Quarter, a senator’s wife falls to her death from a balcony. Most think she jumped, distraught over the loss of her young son. Some say she was pushed. And yet others believe she was beckoned by the ghostly spirits that inhabit the house—once the site of a serial killer’s grisly work. Whether supernatural or all too human, crimes of passion, greed and desire will cast the pair into danger of losing their lives...and their immortal souls.



Phantom Evil is the first in a new mini-series by Heather Graham. I haven't read too many books by Ms. Graham, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was happy I gave it a shot. Phantom Evil sucked me right in from the first page. The main characters, Jackson and Angela, were great characters and played well off of each other. Their relationship and attraction is easy and uncomplicated. It flowed right along with the story. I liked that the author introduced the team to the reader gradually, rather than overwhelm us with everyone in the beginning. I look forward to reading their stories in the future.

With its many twists and turns, Phantom Evil will keep you guessing as to what really happened in the house. Is it really a ghost or someone playing at being a ghost. You'll have to read to find out!

--Kari

* note: I read a complimentary copy of Phantom Evil supplied courtesy of the publisher. I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

No comments: