Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Quicksilver

Author: Amanda Quick
Publisher: Penguin Group (audio version by Brilliance Audio) April 2011

Virginia Dean wakes at midnight beside a dead body, with a bloody knife in her hand and no memory of the evening's events. Dark energy, emanating from the mirrors lining the room, overpowers her senses. With no apparent way in or out, she is rescued by a man she has met only once before, but won't soon forget.

Owen Sweetwater inherited his family's talent for hunting the psychical monsters who prey on London's women and children, and his investigation into the deaths of two glass-readers has led him here. The high-society types of the exclusive Arcane Society would consider Virginia an illusionist, a charlatan, even a criminal, but Owen knows better. Virginia's powers are real-and they just might be the key to solving this challenging case.


I really wanted to enjoy the latest in the Arcane series, but I thought it was just OK. I think I am getting a little bored with the series. Ms. Quick (AKA Jayne Anne Krentz) follows her basic formula to a "T" here. I'd like to see her mix things up a little and maybe write something not related to the Arcane society for a change. I felt like the killer came out of nowhere. The characters weren't all that exciting and I didn't really feel the connection between Owen and Virginia. In past Arcane books, I felt the connection went beyond physical attraction. Not so much here. The secondary romance was barely there and was almost like an after thought. It didn't really enhance the story in anyway. I recommend this one if you have been reading this series from the start. If you haven't, you won't be missing much by skipping it.

--Kari

No comments: