Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Fury

published by:  Simon Pulse
publish date:  August 30, 2011

It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.  Em and Chase have been chosen.
 
In looking over the reviews of this book it seems like they're very mixed.  I guess I fall somewhere in the middle.  I was drawn in by the really awesome cover, how beautiful is that?  Between the title and the synopsis I figured it was about Furies and thought that was an interesting topic.  I haven't seen that one done in YA yet (outside of Percy Jackson).  Overall, I'd say I liked it.  Since this is YA, it is of course, the start of a (let's say it all together) Trilogy.  I'd probably keep up with this one.  I found it interesting enough that I'd want to find out what happens in the next book.

The characters were kinda TV teen drama, a little overly mean I guess, but I don't really hang out with too many of the popular teenagers to know how mean they really are.  It'd be a little bit creepy even if I did say it was for research purposes.  The little scene towards the end of the book when Em realizes who she's really in love with reminded me of the movie Clueless when Cher realizes that she's in love with Josh.

Bottom line?  I'd say go for it if you really like YA in general.  If you're looking for a heavy paranormal influence, you aren't going to find it here, it leans more teen drama.
 

No comments: