Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

2 for 1 Novellas: When Tony Met Adam & Scent of Attraction

I have 2 m/m romance novellas for you today.

First up is When Tony met Adam by Suzanne Brockman:

Author: Suzanne Brockmann
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group (June 6th 2011)

Tony Vlachic, a ruggedly handsome Navy SEAL, has kept his sexuality a secret for years under the threat of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” That is, until he meets Adam Wyndham, a charismatic yet troubled film star. Tony knows that by approaching Adam in front of his teammates he’s jeopardizing his military career. And Adam, nursing a broken heart, has no interest in a relationship. Still, neither man can deny their instant attraction.

Tony didn’t become a SEAL by accepting rejection, and his pursuit of Adam leads to one unforgettable night. But the next morning, Tony is ordered to ship out to Afghanistan, and he’s forced to leave Adam with too much left unsaid. As Tony enters a dangerous war zone, Adam, back in Los Angeles, struggles with the demons of his past, while dealing with the very real possibility that Tony could be killed in action. Half a world apart, both men must face their feelings for each other—and decide if what they’ve found is worth risking everything in the name of love.


This was an OK novella for me. I love Suzanne Brockmann's books and I usually believe the relationships in her books. I just didn't in this one. They met, they had sex and then they are ready for a HEA? It felt forced to me and the whole story felt rushed. There wasn't time to get to know either character. Adam was a total jerk and I can't see anyone liking him at all. I liked Tony, but as he related to his team not Adam. I thought that the reactions of the team after Tony came out were pretty real.

What I did like about it was her touching on the issue of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" in the military. That was a nice change of pace, especially with its repeal earlier this year. I did some research and I think it comes in after book 12 of the Troubleshooter series, so there might be some back story that I am missing for the characters. I might like it more if I go back and read the stories that come before this.


Second is Scent of Attraction by new author Pender Mackie:

Author: Pender Mackie
Publisher: Silver Publishing (April 2011)

When Shawn takes a job at a cologne counter in a busy department store he hopes it’s the beginning of a successful career in the health and beauty industry.
But almost two years later Shawn is frustrated with his job and his love life. He's still working the cologne counter, still single and still spending every night alone.

His job allows him to meet plenty of good-looking men but most of them are straight, and even when they aren't, Shawn is shy. He gets nervous and tongue-tied when he's around a hot guy and the thought of going on a date with a complete stranger makes his stomach churn nervously.

When he meets friendly and outgoing Graham the attraction on both sides is intense and immediate.

Shawn might be willing to step out of his comfort zone this time but there's just one problem. Graham's with someone else.

It looks like their relationship is over before they even share a kiss. . .


This was a super cute romance. I really enjoyed it. It was well written and sucked me in from the beginning. Shawn is just adorable and I can totally picture his shy face behind the fragrance counter. I loved Shawn and Graham together. What I liked about this story is that the main characters took their time before jumping into bed with each other. I did beleive this HEA. I definitely recommend this quick read.

I know this is the first story published by Ms. Mackie. I see a bright future for her.

No comments: