Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

by:  Ransom Riggs
published by:  Quirk Books
publish date:  June 7th, 2011

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

I listened to the audiobook for this one which I've noticed most places is an enhanced audiobook so you get the pictures associated with the book.  The narrator is Jesse Bernstein, who is also the narrator for the Percy Jackson audiobooks, so that may or may not have played a role in my feelings on this book. 

I think there's been some debate as to whether or not this is a YA book.  I don't think it was published as a YA book.  At ALA it was not in the YA section.  It was in the adult section.  However, you get a 16 year old main character and a bunch of little kids and it kinda becomes a YA book anyway. 

I don't know what my expectations were for this book, but they weren't met.  I felt like the story line was immature...maybe?  That's possibly why it's falling into the YA category in people's eyes.  Maybe I feel that way because I listened to the audiobooks and immediately associated it with Percy Jackson? 

It is a beautiful book and hats off to Ransom Riggs for doing something interesting and creative with the pictures.  I did like some aspects of the story.  If it becomes a series or there's a sequel I would read it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked the book (my thoughts: http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=3122) but I kept in mind throughout the whole book that it is a YA book.

It did seem like the first of a series, didn't it? I'll read the other books a well.

When reading a book I do try to keep the intended audience in mind, that helps me out a lot with understanding and enjoyment of the book.

Danielle Zappavigna said...

I'm so intrigued by this book, those photos just seem really cool, I'm not surprised someone decided to do something more with them instead of just keeping them in a box - it's on my TBR list.