Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Sanctus by Simon Toyne

by:  Simon Toyne
published by:  Harper Collins
publish date:  March 31, 2011

The certainties of the modern world are about to be blown apart by a three thousand year-old conspiracy nurtured by blood and lies …

A man throws himself to his death from the oldest inhabited place on the face of the earth, a mountainous citadel in the historic Turkish city of Ruin. This is no ordinary suicide but a symbolic act. And thanks to the media, it is witnessed by the entire world.
But few understand it. For charity worker Kathryn Mann and a handful of others in the know, it is what they have been waiting for. The cowled and secretive fanatics that live in the Citadel suspect it could mean the end of everything they have built – and they will kill, torture and break every law to stop that. For Liv Adamsen, New York crime reporter, it begins the next stage of a journey into the heart of her own identity.

And at that journey's end lies a discovery that will change EVERYTHING

I got an ARC of this book and it kept getting overlooked.  Other books seemed more interesting, more exciting.  I was wrong and I'm really disappointed in myself for not reading this one sooner.  I actually ended up getting the audiobook from the library.  It was REALLY GOOD!

Simon Vance was the audiobook reader.  He does a fantastic job.  I first encountered his work on the audiobook for Mr. Toppit and I was very impressed with that one.  This just confirmed my opinion. 

In terms of the story, it was a thriller of the highest caliber.  You couldn't ask for anything more.  I would find myself sitting in the car in the driveway listening to it because I didn't want to stop for the day.  I never listen to audiobooks at home because the kids would interrupt me, but this one I did. 

It looks like this is the start of a series or trilogy.  It didn't end in such a way that you felt like you HAVE to read the next book, you're going to want to know what happens with the characters next.  The story of Liv Adamsen seems like it's going to get very interesting in the future.

No comments: