Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Long Gone by Alafair Burke

Author: Alafair Burke
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: June 2011

How well do you know your boss?

After a layoff and months of struggling, Alice Humphrey finally lands her dream job managing a new art gallery in Manhattan’s trendy Meatpacking District. According to Drew Campbell, the well-suited corporate representative who hires her, the gallery is a passion project for its anonymous, wealthy, and eccentric owner.

Everything is perfect until the morning Alice arrives at work to find the gallery gone—the space stripped bare as if it had never been there—and Drew Campbell’s dead body on the floor. Overnight, Alice’s dream job has vanished, and she finds herself at the center of a police investigation, with the evidence mounting against her. To prove her innocence and uncover the truth, Alice must undertake a dangerous search for answers that entangles her in a dark, high-tech criminal conspiracy and forces her to unearth long-hidden secrets involving her own family . . . secrets that could cost Alice her life.


Long Gone was a lot better than I expected.  I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I liked this book.  I almost gave up on it.  The book starts with several story lines that seem to not fit in with each other.   I decided that I was intrigued enough by one of the story lines to keep going with the book. I soon found myself engrossed!

 Long Gone is well written with a well planned plot.  I liked the way the story lines come together in the end.  Every time I thought I had it all figured out, another clue was thrown at me to throw me off.  I never knew who or what to trust.  Honestly, I don't want to give away any of the plot because I think it would ruin a good mystery.  Just read the synopsis and go with that for a teaser.

This is the first book I have read by the author and I know I will be seeking out his other works. This is a great book and I definitely recommend it to lovers of mysteries. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: