Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Throwback Thursday - Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie

Author: Jennifer Crusie
First published in 1995 by Harlequin

Dumped by her boyfriend and demoted from WBBB's prime-time spot, radio producer Allie McGuffey has nowhere to go but up. She plans to make her comeback by turning temporary DJ Charlie Tenniel into a household name. And if he's willing to help her cure her breakup blues with a rebound fling, that's an added bonus. 

Charlie just wants to kick back, play good tunes and eat Chinese food. He's not interested in becoming famous. But he is interested in Allie. And after all, what harm in a little chemistry between friends?

But suddenly their one-night stand has become a four-week addiction. Night after night on the airwaves, his voice seduces her. . .and all the other women in town. He's a hit. It looks as if Charlie's solved all Allie's problems. . .except one. What is she going to do when he leaves?

Charlie All Night is one of Ms. Crusie's older novels.  I have read a lot of her works and have always enjoyed the humor and the characters in them.  While I liked this one, I didn't love it.  There was something missing from this story.  I just can't seem to put my finger on it.  I think there was some of her usual humor missing from this one.  I also felt like the book became a campaign advocating the legalization and use of medical marijuana.  That turned me off a bit.  The love scenes were very steamy, which I liked.  I also liked the relationship between Allie and Charlie.  The rest of the characters, who usually add such life to her books, were just so so.  The only one that really stood out to me was Samson the puppy.

Fans will want to read this one, but I wouldn't start with it.

No comments: