Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ketchup is a Vegetable by Robin O'Bryant

Author: Robin O'Bryant
Publisher: Green Forge Books
Date of Publication: November 2011

If you don’t have anything nice to say about motherhood, then… read this book. Robin O’Bryant offers a no holds barred look at the day to day life of being a mother to three, running a household and the everyday monotony of parenting. It’s not always pretty but it’s real.

Whether she's stuffing cabbage in her bra, dealing with defiant yet determined daughters, yelling at the F.B.I., or explaining the birds and the bees to her preschooler, you’re sure to find dozens of humorous and relatable situations.

From the creator of Robin's Chicks, one of the South’s most popular blogs on motherhood, misunderstandings and musings, comes a collection of essays that will not only make you laugh and cry, but realize that you’re not alone in your journey. Sit back and relax, pour yourself some “mommy juice,” throw a fresh diaper on your baby and deadbolt the bedroom door to keep your kids out. Once you start reading you'll be too busy wiping away tears of laughter to wipe anybody's butt.

I don't think I have laughed so much while reading a book in a long time.  Ketchup is a Vegetable: and Other Lies Mom Tell Themselves is full of tales and anecdotes from the author who is the mother of 3 small children.  She discusses everything from breast feeding to talking about sex with your young child.  I  think most mothers will find this book very amusing and will find themselves nodding their head over and over. I know I did! Her honesty and frankness about subjects from the sacred nap time (I hated when that ended!) to wanting to find peace in the bathroom were so refreshing.  I felt like I was having a conversation with a close friend.

One of my favorite parts of the book is the conversation the author has with her child about child birth.  I thought back to the uncomfortableness that I felt when my oldest (who was 4 at the time) asked how her brother came out of my belly. As I was reading her story, I was thinking back to my situation and just found myself rolling with laughter.  I definitely recommend this one to any mother who needs a good laugh.  I challenge you to find something in here that you can't relate to...I know I will win.

No comments: