Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

by:  Stephanie Perkins
published by:  Dutton Books
publish date:  September 29, 2011

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


Prepare to be surprised, because I know I was.  This book was stepping way out of my typical reading zone and I really liked it.  I was at a point where I had enough dark depressing books and I wanted something a little lighter and how could a book about a girl named Lola not be cheerful?

I did have my issues with this book.  Once again the dastardly YA love triangle rears it's ugly head.  There needs to be a anti love triangle logo.  Like a triangle with a with a slash through it.  I'm sure one of you awesome graphic designer would come up with something fantastic.  Lola is also saddled with a kinda gross boyfriend in the beginning.  She started dating him when she was 16 and he was 22...so that's a little pervy right there and he's jealous and possessive. 

I will say I approved of the presence of actual parents in this book.  They are two dads of which I'm sure some will object, but they act like real life, normal parents. 

In the end, I really liked this book.  I thought it was a cute story.  Good lessons learned and all that fun stuff.  There was a little bit of language and a few mild sexual references, but nothing really out of line, so it doesn't really need a big parental warning label on it.

No comments: