Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Throwback Thursday - Whispers from the Dead by Joan Lowery Nixon

Author: Joan Lowery Nixon
First published in 1989 by Delacourte Press

Only Sarah senses the horror.

The minute she steps through the doorway of her family's new home, Sarah feels a smothering cold mist, and hears the echo of a scream and a heartbreaking whisper in Spanish, "Help me!"

Sarah feels compelled to find out who is trying to reach her. But can she uncover the mysteries of the past before terror strikes again?


I was browsing in the library the other day looking for a new to me author and I came across this YA novel by Joan Lowery Nixon.  Noting the original publish date, I decided it would be perfect for Throwback Thursday.   Whispers from the Dead is a good little mystery, with a paranormal twist. The story itself was a bit predictable, I was able to figure things out way before Sarah, but it didn't take away from my enjoying the story.  One thing that I will give the author credit for is that the parents are very present and involved in this YA book.  This is something you don't see much these days in YA.  I saw that Ms. Nixon died in 2003.  I definitely will be seeking out her other works.  I listened to this on audio. The narrator, Julie Dretzin, did a great job. It's a quick read, only 4 discs.  Give it a shot!

No comments: