Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Series Week - T T edition - Texas! series by Sandra Brown

 

For this week's Throwback Thursday, I am reviewing the Texas Tyler Family series by Sandra Brown.  They were all originally published between 1990-1992 by Fanfare. Even though the books are set in the 90s, they aren't too out dated and are still enjoyable today.

Last May for Throwback Thursday, I reviewed the first book in this series, Texas! Lucky.  Here is what I said:

"Texas Lucky! is an earlier work by Sandra Brown that was re-issued recently. I am a fan of Ms. Brown's earlier works, but I thought this one was just OK. I didn't really like either of the characters. Neither of them had many redeeming qualities. Lucky was just too much of a player for me. Devon was kind of annoying. I didn't really buy into the relationship between Lucky and Devon. I thought it was based more on lust than anything. Frankly, I wasn't sure what Devon saw in him. I thought Devon's reasons for not wanting to alibi Lucky were kind of lame. The mystery was probably the only thing I did like in the book. The tragedy at the end killed the HEA for me. I'd rather end on a high note. I haven't read the others in the series, maybe it gets better? "

Well things did get better.  The next book, Texas! Chase was more emotional and  enjoyable.  I liked Sage and really felt for him in his dilemma about letting go of his love for his dead wife and learning to love his new one.n  For some people, I think Claire buying his house may seem a bit weird and stalkerish, but I can understand why she did it.  She felt responsible for his wife's death and wanted to make a home for him someday to try to make up for it.  Misguided?  Yes, but not weird.  I liked their relationship.  While it starts out as a marriage of convenience, they both learn to set the past aside and really care for each other.  The addition of all of family members, rounds out the book nicely. I also liked the little mystery the runs through the book.  It lent some excitement to the book.

The last book of the trilogy, Texas! Sage was the best out of the three books.  I liked Sage and Harlan the most out of the three couples.  They were both stubborn and their banter was amusing to watch.  Their attraction is very strong and it is easy to see how they end up together.  I liked the air of mystery that surrounded Harlan.  Sage was a little spoiled, but I really felt for her.  Her family still sees her as a little girl, even though she is a grown woman with a master's degree.  It was nice to see how she manages to prove them wrong.    I liked their HEA.  It was really sweet.


The series as a whole is pretty enjoyable.  All three books are on audio and are only 5 or 6 discs long.  If you missed this series, give it a shot. 


No comments: