Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

YA Week: Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: Harper Teen
Date of Publication: January 2012

For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

As with a lot of second books in a YA trilogies that I have read, I was prepared to be underwhelmed by Hallowed. I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy,  Unearthly (my review), and I was happy to say that I liked Hallowed just as much.  Clara is dealing with the aftermath of not fulfilling her purpose.  She is also now having a new vision and it isn't looking like she will be happy with what it is going to reveal.  

I still like Clara.  I think she matures a lot in this book.  She is faced with some tough challenges and decisions, but those only make her stronger.  She also learns some shocking news about herself and her family.  There were a couple of twists in the book that I didn't predict.  I also had to give her props for  the decision she makes in the end.  I think it was the right choice. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the last book.  

Hallowed still contains a love triangle, but I will admit that it didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would.  Probably because Clara isn't gaga over both boys.  She fights tooth and nail to hold on to Tucker as long as she can. After reading Hallowed though, I have definitely changed over to Team Christian.  As much as I love Tucker, I just think Team Christian is the place to be right now.  I may change over in the next book.  Who knows?

I don't want to reveal too much of the plot, because I don't want to spoil anything.   Hallowed is well written and didn't disappoint.  I ended up listening to the audiobook and I loved


No comments: