Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

The Bat by Jo Nesbo

by:  Jo Nesbo
published by:  Knopf
publish date:  July 2, 2013

A young woman, twenty-three years old and a minor television celebrity in her native Norway, has been murdered in Australia. Inspector Harry Hole of the Oslo Crime Squad is dispatched to Sydney to observe the case and offer assistance when possible-and to take a break from his troubles with alcohol and the aftermath of a deadly accident. The Sydney team discovers that this case is only the latest in a string of unsolved murders, and the pattern points to a serial killer.

In case you aren't aware, the Harry Hole books weren't release in order in the US.  The first book to come out in the US was actually the third book in the series.  Initially, that drove me crazy, because I'm a little OCD when it comes to reading book series in order.  However, whoever made the decision to get all the Americans hooked on Harry Hole made a good decision to start with book 3.  I don't know that I would have stuck with the series based on this book.

This is the story that gets referenced back in a lot of his other books, the case that put Harry Hole on the map and made him a famous detective back in Norway.  He goes to Australia to observe the investigation of a murdered minor Norwegian celebrity.  Harry assists the Australian police in putting together the clues to catch a serial killer.

The story wasn't bad, but it wasn't the traditional Harry that we all know and love.  It didn't seem so angsty I guess.  As much as I don't like her, Harry dealing with Rakel makes a much better story.  While this wasn't my favorite book in the Harry Hole series, it's worth the read to go find out where the whole thing got started.

1 comment:

Dorothy Borders said...

Like you, I started with #3 and then went on to #4 and enjoyed both, but I have wondered about the earlier books and have looked forward to their publication in English. I've got this one on my TBR list.