Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Please Don't Tell by Elizabeth Adler

by:  Elizabeth Adler
published by:  Minotaur Books
publish date:  July 9, 2013

Fen Dexter’s quiet life on the idyllic California coast is interrupted one stormy night when a blood-covered man shows up on her doorstep, claiming to have had a car accident. 

Despite the fact there's a serial killer on the loose, Fen says come on in, have dinner, and let me tell you all about my single nieces.  So the stranger, after spending the night at Fen's house, trots on down to niece Dr. Vivi's Emergency Room where she has finished taking care of the most recent victim of the serial killer and begins to worm his way into her life.

I didn't care for this book.  I didn't like any of the characters.  I couldn't stand Fen, I thought she was foolish and the advice that she gave her nieces was ridiculous at best.  None of them thought it was strange when some weirdo that showed up on their aunt's door, showed up in the niece's Emergency Room the next day?  I would have flipped out on my aunt for letting him in, not invite the guy to dinner.  What the heck was wrong with these women??  They all KNEW there was a serial killer out there.  The way they all talked to each other was so childish too.  "Vivi" was obviously an accomplished doctor and yet she allowed everyone to treat her like a child, that made me crazy.

Bottom line, didn't like it.  Wouldn't recommend it.  I haven't read anything else by Elizabeth Adler to compare it against.  I read some of the reviews on goodreads and other people seemed to like it, so perhaps it's just me.

1 comment:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

It doesn't sound like I would like it either. I rant about situations like this all the time but I always feel alone because no one seems to find anything wrong with characters who act unrealistically just to move the plot along.