Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan

Author: Page Morgan
Publisher:  Delacorte Books for Young Readers 
Date of publication: May 2013

After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.

In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.

And Grayson has gone missing.

No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.

Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.


The Beautiful and the Cursed intrigued me because it was so different. Who wouldn't think that gargoyles would be a great premise and change from vampires and witches?  I really wanted to like this book.  Sadly, it fell short.  It was in one word, boring.  Not a lot happens until the last 1/4 of the book.  I'm still not 100% sure I get the world in which the story takes place.  That frustrated me.  It seems like the gargoyles guard the people who live in their houses.  Anyone unlucky enough not to live in a house with a gargoyle is vulnerable to demons.  Especially one that keeps killing women.  So, it's really luck of the draw.  

The characters were pretty dull.  Ingrid and her sister Gabby don't seem shocked too much to find out about the gargoyles and the demon hunters.  They seem to take it all in stride.  Of course, Ingrid falls for the untouchable Luc.  But it wouldn't be complete without a love triangle, would it?  Luc is a gargoyle and any type of relations with a human is a no-no.  HE is dark and brooding.  Vander on the other hand is the opposite.  I think if I had to choose a team, it would be team Vander.  The only character I really liked was Gabby.  She was seriously kick-ass and ready to jump into the fray.  Her "romance" with Nolan did disturb me though.  She is 15.  He is much older.  Blech.

This is the first in a series.  I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll read the next one.  Maybe I'll just stick with vampires and witches.



1 comment:

Precious said...

Aww, sad you didn't like it! I agree that it's not an easy book to read however, the mythology won me over. And the guys. Great honest review though! I hope you'll give book two a try. :)

Precious @ Fragments of Life