Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Review: Red HIll by Jamie Mcguire

Author: Jamie McGuire
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Date of publication: October 2013

For Scarlet, raising her two daughters alone makes fighting for tomorrow an everyday battle. Nathan has a wife, but can’t remember what it’s like to be in love; only his young daughter Zoe makes coming home worthwhile. Miranda’s biggest concern is whether her new VW Bug is big enough to carry her sister and their boyfriends on a weekend escape from college finals.

When reports of a widespread, deadly “outbreak” begin to surface, these ordinary people face extraordinary circumstances and suddenly their fates are intertwined. Recognizing they can’t outrun the danger, Scarlet, Nathan, and Miranda desperately seek shelter at the same secluded ranch, Red Hill. Emotions run high while old and new relationships are tested in the face of a terrifying enemy—an enemy who no longer remembers what it’s like to be human.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of zombie anything, movies or books.  But, I have to say that I really enjoyed Red Hill.  I think that the difference for me with this book was that throughout the entire book, I had a sense of hope.  I flew through this book; it was that good.  The tension and build up to the pandemic had me on the edge of my seat.   The race to get to Red Hill was exciting and terrifying at the same time.

The story is told through the viewpoint of Scarlet, Nathan and Miranda with their stories eventually converging into one.  I was interesting to see snippets of the same events through the eyes of each character without having to relive an entire scene.  There is some romance in the book.  It really felt natural, especially given the circumstances Nathan and Scarlet find themselves in.

The other thing that I liked about the book was not all of the characters were safe.  I think it would have been too neat for there to be a huge HEA. I was pretty surprised at who made it to the end and who didn't.  One of my favorite characters didn't last.  No, I'm not telling who...that would be cheating.  I loved the ending.  I really liked the decision that they made and probably would have made the same one.  

I definitely recommend this one.  It's a real change from the author's first books, Beautiful Disaster.  But she has another winner on her hands! I have to give kudos to anyone who can make me like a zombie story!



No comments: