Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Rake's Midnight Kiss by Anna Campbell

Author: Anna Campbell
Publisher: Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
Date of publication: August 2013

Brilliant scholar Genevieve Barrett knows how to keep a secret. Her identity as the author of her father's academic articles has always been her greatest deception—until a charming housebreaker tries to steal the mysterious Harmsworth Jewel from her.

Sir Richard Harmsworth has been living a lie, maintaining a rakish façade to show society that he doesn't care about his status as a bastard. Yet long haunted by his unknown father's identity, Richard believes the Harmsworth Jewel will confirm his claim as the rightful heir. But when Richard sets out to seduce the bookworm who possesses the stone, he instead falls for its beautiful owner.


A Rake's Midnight Kiss is the second book in the "Son's of Sin" series.  I enjoyed the first one, Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed.  I liked this second one, but I didn't love it.  It was a little dull for me.  I really wasn't feeling the attraction between Richard and Genevieve. It felt forced and fell flat for me.  There was really no heat between them.  I think that kind of ruined the story for me.  I was hoping for more from Richard's courtship of Genevieve.  I did like their HEA and some of their banter was cute, but it wasn't anything wow.

The rest of the story was interesting. The bad guy was really slimy.  The carriage scene was very disturbing and icky.  I think the thing I liked most about the book was the end scene with Richard and his mother.  It was nice to see that he got his true happiness in the end.  I do look forward to the Cam's book, What a Duke Dares, coming out next year.



No comments: