Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

How to Fall by Jane Casey

Author: Jane Casey
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Date of publication: August 26, 2014

Sixteen-year-old Jess Tennant has never met any of her relatives, until her mom suddenly drags her out of London to spend the summer in the tiny English town where her family’s from. Her mom’s decision is surprising, but even more surprising is the town’s reaction to Jess. Everywhere she goes, people look at her like they've seen a ghost. In a way, they have—she looks just like her cousin Freya, who died shortly before Jess came to town.

Jess immediately feels a strange connection to Freya, whom she never got to meet alive. But the more Jess learns about the secrets Freya was keeping while she was alive, the more suspicious Freya’s death starts to look. One thing is for sure: this will be anything but the safe, boring summer in the country Jess was expecting.


How to Fall is a well written YA that kept me engaged through to the end.  When Jess and her mother go on summer vacation to her mother's home town, Jess finds out that she looks just like her cousin Freya who dies mysteriously the year before.  Jess takes it upon herself to discover what really happened the night that Freya died.  

I thought the mystery was really good.  I didn't see the reveal coming.  There were a number of suspects and scenarios, so it was anyone's guess as to what really happened.  I liked Jess and her determination to get to the truth.  She came across as a strong teen who felt comfortable in her own skin.  It was nice to read a YA with a female lead who isn't angsty and love sick! 

I looks like there will a be a sequel to the book.  I thought the ending for this one was perfect, so I am curious to see where things go for Jess in the next book.  I do recommend this one and I think any YA fan will enjoy it.




1 comment:

Amber Elise said...

Oh good, I like a well-thought out mystery!

Thanks for the review Kari!

Amber Elise @ Du Livre