Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick


by:  Matthew Quick
published by:  Farrar, Straus and Giroux
publish date:  September 2, 2008

Meet Pat. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending for him -- the return of his estranged wife Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent time in a mental health facility.) The problem is, Pat's now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he's being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he's being hunted by Kenny G!

I've read several Matthew Quick books now and I've liked them all.  I had been putting off Silver Linings Playbook because I think I was worried I was going to be disappointed.  It seems like I always am when there's a books that's hyped big time.  I succumbed, obviously.  And I wasn't let down.  I really liked it.  I think Matthew Quick handles mental illness in a wonderful way.

When I read the book, I had not seen the movie.  I was like the only person in my peer group that hadn't seen the movie, but still.  The whole time, I kept wondering "how in the world is this book going to translate into a movie??"  Much of the book is narration in Pat's head.  How do you get that out in to the big screen?  When I finished the book, I watched the movie and the answer is: you don't.   I felt like so much of this book was lost in the movie.  

I would definitely recommend the book over the movie!  It was a fantastic book and I really loved all the characters in it.  It might be a throwback, but worth seeking out.  I also recommend all of Matthew Quicks other books.  Excellent writer!

No comments: