Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender

by:  Katie Alender
published by:  Scholastic Press
publish date:  September 24, 2013

Colette Iselin is excited to go to Paris on a class trip. She’ll get to soak up the beauty and culture, and maybe even learn something about her family’s French roots.

But a series of gruesome murders are taking place across the city, putting everyone on edge. And as she tours museums and palaces, Colette keeps seeing a strange vision: a pale woman in a ball gown and powdered wig, who looks suspiciously like Marie Antoinette.


This was one of those random audiobook picks from the library.  I confess I picked it because I liked the cover.  After I got it, I was kinda leaning towards not listening to it because I had a ton of other stuff to do, but my niece saw it and said she had to read it for school.  I thought that was a little unusual and that got me to listen to it.

Colette Iselin is hiding the truth about her family from her wealthy private school friends.  Her father has left her mother poor and she is attending her fancy private school on scholarship.  She's excited to take this school trip to Paris to try to forget about her problems at home.  However, when she gets to Paris the city is being terrorized by a serial killer and Colette starts seeing the ghost of Marie Antoinette everywhere she goes.  While she's in Paris, Colette finds out her family is closely related to that of Marie Antoinette's but what does it mean and why is Marie haunting her?

I really liked this book.  I thought it was a really good murder mystery for the YA crowd.  It reminded me a lot of those old RL Stine and Christoper Pike books I used to read when I was younger, but revamped for today's readers.  I would definitely recommend this book for the mystery lovers.

1 comment:

Breenah A said...

That cover is pretty awesome.