Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

by:  Laura Ruby
published by:  Balzer + Bray
publish date:  March 3, 2015

Everyone knows Bone Gap is full of gaps—gaps to trip you up, gaps to slide through so you can disappear forever. So when young, beautiful Roza went missing, the people of Bone Gap weren’t surprised. After all, it wasn’t the first time that someone had slipped away and left Finn and Sean O’Sullivan on their own. Just a few years before, their mother had high-tailed it to Oregon for a brand new guy, a brand new life. That’s just how things go, the people said. Who are you going to blame?

Finn knows that’s not what happened with Roza. He knows she was kidnapped, ripped from the cornfields by a dangerous man whose face he cannot remember. But the searches turned up nothing, and no one believes him anymore. Not even Sean, who has more reason to find Roza than anyone, and every reason to blame Finn for letting her go.

This was another book I picked up because it was a Goodreads 2015 Choice Finalist.  While I've been very disappointed with the books that have been picked to be voted on this year, I was not disappointed in this book and I believe this one is worth voting for.  I haven't totally decided on my feelings on this book and I find that interesting, so this one is making me think.

Roza left her country and came to the United States to learn.  She wanted to learn how to farm.  Sean and Finn O'Sullivan are just trying to get by after their mother left them.  One day Roza appeared in their barn bloodied and broken.  Sean and Finn, took her in and let her live with them.  Then, Roza just disappeared.  Finn, insisted that she was kidnapped as he witnessed the entire event, but was unable to provide any details to the police.  Months later, Sean is angry and Finn is the only one still looking for Roza.  


This book tells an excellent story.  I liked the way the story was parceled out.  There were some fantasy elements to this story that I had trouble with.  In the end, it made a little more sense I suppose, but when it first started showing up I didn't know what to make of it.  I still don't know if I like that aspect of the book.  However, the rest of it was very good and I would definitely encourage anyone to read this book.

No comments: