Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Famous Last Words by Kate Alender

Author: Kate Alender
Publisher: Scholastic
Date of publication: Septmeber 2014

Willa is freaking out. It seems like she's seeing things. Like a dead body in her swimming pool. Frantic messages on her walls. A reflection that is not her own. It's almost as if someone -- or something -- is trying to send her a message.

Meanwhile, a killer is stalking Los Angeles -- a killer who reenacts famous movie murder scenes. Could Willa's strange visions have to do with these unsolved murders? Or is she going crazy? And who can she confide in? There's Marnie, her new friend who may not be totally trustworthy. And there's Reed, who's ridiculously handsome and seems to get Willa. There's also Wyatt, who's super smart but unhealthily obsessed with the Hollywood Killer.

All Willa knows is, she has to confront the possible-ghost in her house, or she just might lose her mind . . . or her life.

This was a random pick from my library.  I was in the mood for a good YA mystery and Famous Last Words definitely fit the bill.  Willa and  her mother have just moved to California after Willa's mother marries a famous director.  Willa is hoping to start fresh and put her break down behind her.  She had a hard time after her father died and she withdrew from everything.  After moving into her new home, she begins to experience some spooky events.  Oh, and there is a serial killer on the loose in Hollywood.

I thought this was a fairly well done mystery.  It definitely kept me guessing, although I had narrowed it down to 2 suspects by the time the reveal happened.  I also enjoyed the paranormal aspects of the story.  Willa is a character that  I think a lot of teens could relate to.  She is just trying to make her way in a new place and make friends.  She is also trying to come to terms with her possible role in her father's death.  I also liked Wyatt.  Their friendship was what made the story for me.

I think any YA reader will like this book.  I would keep it to over 16 though because of some of the content. 


No comments: