Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Desert Heat by J.A. Jance


by:  J.A. Jance
published by:  Avon Books
publish date:  1993

Life is good for Joanna Brady in the small desert community of Bisbee. She has Jenny, her adored nine-year-old daughter, and solid, honest, and loving husband, Andy, a local lawman who's running for Sheriff of Cochise County. But her good life explodes when a bullet destroys Andy Brady's future and leaves him dying beneath the blistering Arizona sun.

I've never read a J.A. Jance book.  My library just added a bunch of the audiobooks so I figured it was a good time to try one out.  I decided to start with the first book in the Joanna Brady series.  

So Joanna's husband is a deputy in the tiny little town of Bisbee (recognize that from the movie Tremors???) and he's running for Sheriff, but he dies under mysterious circumstances.  The Sheriff's Department is ready to write it off as a suicide, but Joanna knows that her husband was murdered and she's intent to prove it.   However, questions come to light about the life Andy may have been leading.  Joanna herself becomes the target of a DEA investigation.  She must clear her name and figure out what is going on in her town.

I liked this book.  It was a bit older but it was still good.  There wasn't anything in it that dated it so I didn't feel like I was reading a 20 year old book.  These are what I'd classify as airport or beach books.  They're quick and easy.  I'd recommend starting this series if you haven't already.  

1 comment:

Dorothy Borders said...

I read a few of Jance's books, including this one, several years ago, but never got much farther into the series. Not sure why, actually. As I recall, I enjoyed them all. Maybe I'll get back to them...