Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Need by Joelle Charbonneau

Author:  
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Date of publication: November 2015

One by one, the teens in Nottawa, Wisconsin, join the newest, hottest networking site and answer one question: What do you need? A new iPhone? Backstage passes to a concert? In exchange for a seemingly minor task, the NEED site will fulfill your request. Everyone is doing it. So why shouldn’t you?

Kaylee Dunham knows what she needs—a kidney for her sick brother. She doesn’t believe a social networking site can help, but it couldn’t hurt to try.

Or could it?



In NEED, the teens of a small town in Wisconsin are invited to a social networking site where for a small price, they can get something they need.  The biggest problem is that the stakes keep getting higher.  For Kaylee, all she needs is a kidney for her little brother.  She quickly finds out that nothing is ever given for free.

I was surprised that I actually ended up liking this book.  I had read some negative reviews, so I was a bit skeptical.  I thought it was a great commentary on our youth today and the effects of social media. Not to mention that lot of people don't understand the concept of what a true need is over something they want.  The story is told through multiple points of  view.  For me, that really helped enhance the plot.  I liked seeing other kids thoughts and how the website affected them.  The other thing that I liked was Kaylee.  She was a strong character without insta-love to keep her from her goal. That was refreshing. As far as I know this is a stand alone YA.  Yay for that as well!

No comments: