Pages

Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Sick House by Ambrose Ibsen

Author: Ambrose Ibsen
Narrator: Jake Urry
Publisher: Amazon Publishing
Date of publication: February 2016
Audiobook: Audible Audio

Some Places Should Stay Abandoned... 
Dr. Siegfried Klein has vanished on a mysterious pilgrimage to an abandoned infirmary in the ghost-town of Moonville. The locals in the surrounding areas are tight-lipped, hostile to outsiders. Local legend has it that the old Sick House is packed with spirits, none of them friendly, and that to set foot in it is to enter Hell itself. 

Enter Harlan Ulrich, private investigator and skeptic. 

Traveling to the site, the detective begins the long process of separating truth from grisly local myth, and during his investigation stumbles upon certain frightful evidence that tries his nerve. He wants to find the doctor in one piece and weathers the hostilities of the locals even as their stories keep him up at night. But the longer he spends in the ghost town of Moonville, the more he feels the influence of something sinister in the shuttered infirmary. 



I wasn't sure what to expect going into The Sick House. I find that sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised at what I end up with.  In The Sick House, Harlan Ulrich is a struggling PI who take s a job looking for a missing doctor.  He was last seen hiking to an old infirmary in a ghost town.

I was indeed pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this story.  It had a good mystery mixed with some horror.   I particularly liked how the author was able to set up the creepy atmosphere of the old infirmary.  Let's just say it's not a place I would go into alone or at night.  The story is well written and I was really able to visualize the main character was experiencing.

I listened to the audio version of the book, It was well done and the narrator was great. He is a new to me narrator, but one I would want to listen to again.  I do recommend giving this one a try.  It looks like it is the first in a series.  I'm, hoping to read the next one, Medicine for the Dead soon.

No comments: