Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Shelter by Jay Crownover

Author: Jay Crownover
Publisher: Self
Date of publication: December 2017

Sutton Warner is a mess. Everything in his life feels like it’s unraveling. 

He’s let a lot of people down lately, including his daughter. Sutton always promised his little girl he would never disappoint her and that he would always be there when she needed him. Until he wasn’t. 

Emrys Santos is lost. Everything in her life feels pointless and futile.

She’s been busy running away from her feelings and all the people who love her the most—including her best friend, the one person who knows exactly what she’s been through. They promised to always stick together and to lean on one another. It was a promise Em had to break so she could lick her wounds and figure out her next move. For once, there is no easy way out of the tangled web of emotions she’s caught up in, and right now, she recognizes that all roads lead back to Wyoming…and back to Sutton.

'
In Shelter, Em has finally come back to the ranch in an effort to set things straight with Sutton.  It takes place about six months after the events of Retreat.  She find Sutton in a very bad way and hopes she can help him find his way back. Shelter can be read as a stand alone, but to fully understand what Em and Sutton went through, you should read Retreat first. But, it's not really necessary. 

Just when I think Jay Crownover has reached her best, she manages to top herself in her next book.  I absolutely loved Shelter.  I can honestly say that I am emotionally drained (in a good way) after reading this book.  It has some gut wrenching scenes and bittersweet moments. But ultimately, it was so satisfying watching three people find home and safety in an unlikely family.  I didn't want the story to end.   While loved Emrys and Sutton together, little Daye was the character who stole my heart. The scene by the river when Sutton has to tell her bad news had me in tears.  

The mystery was good with some final scenes that had me holding my breath.  I'm not going to give the plot away.  Just go read it.  This is definitely making my top 10 for 2017.  I need Lane's story, Escape, now!  I also hope Ten will get her own story.  Please?


No comments: