Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

2 in 1 Novellas: Madd Ink by Dani Rene & Hard Wood by Jenika Snow

Author:  Dani Rene
Publisher: Carina Press
Date of publication: February 2018

Detective Slade Maddox doesn't let the same woman warm his bed twice. Get it in and then get out.

But Ryn Callan is something else. The way her breath catches in her throat, the way she stares at his chest, and not just because of his ink. The goose bumps on her skin when he leans in close.

Her incredible response to his every touch.

Ryn's meant to be his, and Slade wants nothing more than to spend the rest of his life showing her just how satisfying it can be to let go.


This book is approximately 12,000 words

Carina Press recently came out with a new imprint called "The Dirty Bits".  They are short novellas that are meant to be read in an hour or two.  They are usually insta-love and pretty steamy.  Madd Ink is the first one I picked up.  Novellas are fun, quick reads, but they never seem long enough for me.

 I did end up liking Madd Ink. I liked the relationship between Ryn and Slade.  It wasn't completely insta-love as they did seem to spend time together before ending up in the bedroom.   I just wish it was longer.  There was definitely a lot of back story, I would have loved for both characters. I wanted more of Slade as a cop.  It would have been a great longer novel.  If you are in for a quick steamy romance, I recommend this one.





Author:   Jenika Snow
Publisher: Carina Press
Date of publication: March 19, 2018

I’m a hard man. A loner. Or so town gossip says. After having my heart sent through the chipper, I’ve kept to myself. I prefer the quiet of the woods to the ramblings of clingy women who think they can tame a wild mountain man.

Until Mia. Now she’s all I think about.

I should have stayed away. She’s too sweet for a brute like me, but I can’t stop wanting her, picturing her sated in my sheets.

Mia knows just what kind of wood I’m working with. She’s the soft to my hard, the sugar to my bitter bark.

And I love seeing her walk on the wild side.

This book is approximately 15,000 words


Hard Wood is the second novella of the "The Dirty Bits Collection" that I picked up recently.  It was definitely an insta-love story, but something about it just didn't sit right with me.  I can't quite put my finger on what it was, but I think  it was Noah and his reaction when he first sees Mia.  It was just too carnal to be normal.  They barely knew each other and a within an hour of Noah rescuing Mia from a snow storm,  they are in bed.  I mean it was hot, but also kind of weird for me.  This is one that would have really benefited from being a longer story.  I felt like I barely got to know either character and within two weeks, they are pledging love for each other.   Definitely not my favorite.


No comments: