Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Not if I Save You First by Ally Carter

Author: Ally Carter
Publisher: Scholastic 
Date of publication: March 2018

Maddie thought she and Logan would be friends forever. But when your dad is a Secret Service agent and your best friend is the president's son, sometimes life has other plans. Before she knows it, Maddie's dad is dragging her to a cabin in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness.

No phone. No Internet. And not a single word from Logan.

Maddie tells herself it's okay. After all, she's the most popular girl for twenty miles in any direction. (She’s also the only girl for twenty miles in any direction.) She has wood to cut and weapons to bedazzle. Her life is full. Until Logan shows up six years later . . .
And Maddie wants to kill him.


Not If I Save You First is the latest YA stand alone from Ally Carter.  I really appreciated the fact that this book is a stand alone.  Sometimes it's nice to read a YA that will not continue on. I was satisfied with the ending and the direction the characters were headed.  I don't need to see them anymore.  In this story, Maddie used to be best friends with the President's son Logan.  When a crisis at the White House goes horribly wrong, her father, a secret service agent, takes her to the middle of nowhere Alaska.

I really enjoyed this book.  It was faced paced and really had me on the edge of my seat.  The characters were interesting and I found myself invested in seeing if they would survive.  Maddie was a great character.  She had spent six years learning how to survive in the wilds of Alaska.  Let's just say that if I ever found myself in Logan's situation, I would want Maddie next to me in the wild.  Logan was not a wimpy guy by any stretch of the imagination, but he was really out of his element.  It was kind of refreshing to see a guy have to rely on the girl for a change.  I also loved reading about characters who aren't looking at their phones, laptops or talking about social media all the time.  It was a welcome change of pace.

There are a couple of surprises thrown into the adventure. One of them, I didn't see coming. I'll let you discover them for yourself.  I definitely recommend this YA.  It's pretty clean so I would say it's safe for the younger YA crowd.  I look forward to seeing what she comes out with next.

1 comment:

Alyssa Nelson said...

Oh, yay! I'm glad this one is good. I love Ally Carter, especially her spy series, so it's nice to know that she did well with writing a standalone. I also like reading standalones because then you don't have all those other series books looming over your head once you finish. :p I'll have to check this out. Great review!