Pages

Monday, April 9, 2018

Sinner by Christopher Graves

Author: Christopher Graves
Publisher: OP Media
Date of publication: April 2018

As a direct descendant of the 19th century vigilante gang, the Bald Knobbers, Ezekiel Woods, Jr. has been indoctrinated into a world ruled by violence and a literal interpretation of the bible his entire life. Now, over a hundred years later, Zeke continues his ancestors’ crusade, spending his days camouflaged as an aloof middle-aged grocery store sacker and his nights in a farmhouse cellar, preparing captives’ souls for their ultimate destiny: redemption or death. His latest abductee, an indomitable Texan working her way through a third-life crisis, chooses another option: escape. Zeke must recapture this lost sheep or face a consequence far worse than any worldly fate: that God has forsaken him.

One of the things that a horror story is supposed to do is make the reader feel uncomfortable...sometimes.  If you don't mind that feeling while reading an entire book, Sinner is a book you might want to check out.  The story involves serial killer, Zeke, who is a descendant of a vigilante gang who targeted immoral women in the 19th century.  He has been raised with sick religious ideals and seeks out women who he attempts to "save" from what he perceives as loose morals.

I'll be honest, I didn't like this story.  I usually like horror and don't mind being made to feel uncomfortable to a point.  This book made me REALLY uncomfortable the entire time I was reading it.  In the end, I just don't think it was for me.  There are a number of  scenes that could be "triggering" for some readers. They involve rape, child molestation/rape and incest. They almost went a bit too far in detail for the sake of being gross.

I liked the story idea.  I just didn't like the execution.  There are, at times, flashbacks within flashbacks.  I got confused a couple of times because the scenes abruptly changed.  We are given the background of how the killer grew up, so as to have an understanding of how he became that way.  In a way, it was almost like I was being asked to find sympathy for him.  He had a sick childhood, so is it any wonder he became a killer?  The ending was kind of a cliche and one I was expecting.

As I said, I think this story just wasn't for me.  I think fans of extreme psychological horror will want to check this one out.  Give it a try and see for yourself.

No comments: