Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Throwback Thursday: Opposites Attract by Nora Roberts


Author: Nora Roberts
First published in 1992 by Silhouette

Asher Wolfe and Ty Starbuck were tennis superstars - Ty all fire and flash, Asher the ice princess with devastating control. Three years ago, the combination had resulted in a passionate affair. But misunderstandings had catapulted Asher into an unhappy marriage with another man. Now the ice princess was back on the circuit, determined to win. But her concentration was threatened, as Ty's dark eyes dared her to become the fiery woman he had once loved.

If you are a big fan of tennis, then you will probably love Opposites Attract.  This throwback is filled with tennis terminology and tennis matches.  I'm not a tennis fan, so I found those parts of the book a bit tedious and skimmed most of them.  Without them, the book would probably be more of a novella length, so they were probably added for filler.

Aside from those portions, this is an angsty second chance romance with a sweet ending.  A lot of the angst was due to miscommunication that I found frustrating. There were a couple of things that I found annoying, but they are kind of nitpicky.   To me, Asher is not a girl name.  It's a boy name, so that kept throwing me off as I kept picturing a man.  And every time I heard Ty referred to as "Starbuck", I would picture the character from Battlestar Galactica.  Authors really need to think through their name choices. It's not a bad read, but it's not one of her best throwbacks.

No comments: