Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Review: Night School by C.J. Daugherty

Author: C.J. Daugherty
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books 
Date of publication: May 2013

Allie's world is falling apart...


She hates her school. Her brother has run away. And she's just been arrested.

Again.

Now her parents are sending her away to a boarding school where she doesn't know a soul.

But instead of hating her new school, Allie finds she's happy there. She's making friends. And then there's Sylvain, a suave French student who openly flirts with her. And Carter, the brooding loner who seems to have her back.

Soon, though, Allie discovers Cimmeria Academy is no ordinary school. Nothing there is as it seems. And her new friends are hiding dangerous secrets.

I have had Night School on my TBR for eons it seems.  I think I started this one a few times and I finally made it through on this last try.  This is the first book in the Night School series.  Allie's parents have had enough of her partying.  They send her to an obscure boarding school.  The school has its mysteries, namely a group of kids who belong to something called Night school.  Weird things start to happen around the school  and Allie isn't sure who to trust.

I thought this was a fairly enjoyable YA mystery once I got past the first couple of chapters.  The book doesn't end with a lot of resolution, so I'm assuming that there is more as the series progresses.  The characters were a bit cliche, but that didn't bother me too much. I did like Allie though.  The mystery of what Night School was ended up being a bit of a let down. I was hoping it would go in a different direction.  There was the potential for a love triangle but it didn't drag on.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't keep going throughout the rest of the series.  I'm definitely team Carter! I think most YA readers would enjoy this one.


No comments: