Pages

Friday, November 30, 2018

Review: Otherearth by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller

Author: Jason Segel & Kirsten Miller
Publisher: Delacourte Press
Date of publication: October 2018

Simon saved his best friend, Kat, from the clutches of the Company and their high-tech VR gaming experience, Otherworld. But it was at a steep price. Now he, Kat, and their friend Busara are on the run. They know too much. About the Company's dark secrets. About the real-life consequences of playing Otherworld. And about Kat's stepfather's involvement in everything. The group is headed to New Mexico to find Simon's old roommate, who is a tech genius and possibly the only person who can help them reveal the truth about the Company before it's too late and the line between what's real and what's fantasy is erased... forever.

Otherearth is the second book in the Last Reality series.  The first book was fairly enjoyable, so I decided to continue with the series.  This one picks up pretty much right after the events of Otherworld.  It has been a year since I read the first book, so it took me a bit to get reoriented to the world of the series.  If you didn't read the first one, you will be lost in this one, so I don't suggest reading them out of order.  

Otherearth wasn't as good as the first. It was OK.  Again, it's told through Simon's perspective.  This time he and Kat are finally a couple and they are on the run from the Company.  Now that the know the truth about the dangers of Otherworld, they have to go back into the game to try to stop it once and for all.  I think my overall disappointment with this one was that it felt like more of the same thing that I got in the first book. I wanted something different.  I almost feel like the events in this book could have been reduced down and added to the first book with thetwist ending of this one.   The cliff -hanger ending did leave me open-mouthed and will bring me back to the third book to see what it all means for Simon his friends.  I just hope it's different than this one.




No comments: