Pages

Friday, December 7, 2018

Review: Archenemies by Marissa Meyer

Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Date of publication: November 2018

Time is running out.
Together, they can save the world.
But they each other's worst nightmare.

In Renegades, Nova and Adrian (aka Insomnia and Sketch) fought the battle of their lives against the Anarchist known as the Detonator. It was a short-lived victory.

The Anarchists still have a secret weapon, one that Nova believes will protect her. The Renegades also have a strategy for overpowering the Anarchists, but both Nova and Adrian understand that it could mean the end of Gatlon City - and the world - as they know it.
 


Oh Archenemies, how you disappointed me. I did enjoy Renegades and was eager to see what awaited Adrian and Nova in the sequel.  This book could have gone so many ways, but I was disappointed it didn't go any of the ways I would have loved to see.  The story picks up a little bit after the events of the first one.  And for about almost 500 pages in a 560 page book, NOTHING happens.  Really.  Nothing other than Adrian and Nova flirting with each other. I will admit to being that a part I did like because it was so awkwardly cute.  Oh and Nova repeatedly keeps reminds us she wants revenge.  That was pretty much it.

The last 60-ish pages are what saved the book for me. (Kind of)  It was a whirlwind of activity and action.  The book ends on a cliffhanger and I am intrigued enough to want to find out how it all gets resolved.  Because, without giving away spoilers, I'm not sure how all of the characters come back from that, especially Nova.  Bottom line is that this book could have been condensed down to a much shorter book.  There was a lot of filler that was unnecessary.  Maybe this could have been a duology instead of a trilogy?  The last book doesn't come out until November 2019.  I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

No comments: