Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Review: The Perfect Liar by Thomas Christopher Greene

Author: Thomas Christopher Greene
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Date of publication: January 2019

Susannah, a young widow and single mother, has remarried well: to Max, a charismatic artist and popular speaker whose career took her and her fifteen-year-old son out of New York City and to a quiet Vermont university town. Strong-willed and attractive, Susannah expects that her life is perfectly in place again. Then one quiet morning she finds a note on her door: I KNOW WHO YOU ARE. 

Max dismisses the note as a prank. But days after a neighborhood couple comes to dinner, the husband mysteriously dies in a tragic accident while on a run with Max. Soon thereafter, a second note appears on their door: DID YOU GET AWAY WITH IT?

Both Susannah and Max are keeping secrets from the world and from each other —secrets that could destroy their family and everything they have built.


I'll say up front, I really didn't care for this book.  I probably should have DNF'd it early on, but I keep holding out hope that I will find a truly thrilling psychological thriller.  The Perfect Liar involves Susannah and her husband Max.  One day they receive an anonymous note that says "I know who you are".  Both Susannah and Max have secrets.  The question is who is the note meant for?

The book is told through both Susannah's and Max's perspective.  We learn fairly early on what secret Max is keeping.  That made the rest of the story very anti-climactic.  I called Susannah's secret and the identity of the note writer in first quarter of the book.  The ending was kind of a let down.  I think all of this wouldn't have been too bad if that characters were likable.  Unfortunately, all of them were terrible.  That includes Susannah's son who was a whiny, sullen teenager and the police detective who was a cheesy cliche. 

I wish I could say I recommend this one.  But I really don't.  But hey, I wasted my time so you don't have to!  I'm still holding out hope for a great thriller this year!

No comments: