Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Review: Finale by Stephanie Garber

Author: Stephanie Garber
Publisher: Flatiorn Books
Date of publication: May 2019

A love worth fighting for. A dream worth dying for. An ending worth waiting for.

It’s been two months since the Fates were freed from a deck of cards, two months since Legend claimed the throne for his own, and two months since Tella discovered the boy she fell in love with doesn’t really exist.

With lives, empires, and hearts hanging in the balance, Tella must decide if she’s going to trust Legend or a former enemy. After uncovering a secret that upends her life, Scarlett will need to do the impossible. And Legend has a choice to make that will forever change and define him.

Caraval is over, but perhaps the greatest game of all has begun. There are no spectators this time: only those who will win, and those who will lose everything.

Welcome, welcome to Finale. All games must come to an end…


Finale was one of my most anticipated reads for 2019.  I have enjoyed this trilogy since the beginning, so I had high hopes that the series would conclude in a big way.  This one takes place about 2 months after the events of Legendary.  The Fates have been released from their deck of cards and Legend's throne is in jeopardy.

This year is not turning out well for me and my anticipated reads.  I wish I could say that I loved this conclusion.  It was just OK and, honestly, the weakest of the trilogy.  Literally, nothing happens except toward the end.  The majority of the book is Tella whining about how Legend will never love her and trying to decide if she should be with Jack of Hearts instead.  It was the dumbest love triangle because you know who she is going to end up with.  At least Scarlett's love triangle (yes, there is a second one) doesn't drag on too long into the book. 

 There were a couple of twists but nothing ultra shocking or exciting. The one thing I did like was how Scarlett saved the kingdom.  That plot line was pretty cool.  The ending was neat and tidy and underwhelming.  I wouldn't necessarily skip this if you have read the first two.  I mean, it's no horrible.  It was just not what I was hoping for,


No comments: