Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Review: The Last Thing She Remembers by J.S. Monroe

Author: J.S. Monroe
Publisher; Park Row
Date of publication: May 2019

She arrives at the train station only to realize her bag had been stolen-her passport, credit cards, laptop, house key now all gone. And even more disturbing, when she goes to report the incident, she can't recall her own name. All she has on her is a train ticket home.

Suffering from stress-induced amnesia, the woman without a name is a source of mystery when she appears at the sleepy Wiltshire village where she thought she lived. She quickly becomes a source of conspiracy and fear among the townspeople. Why does one think he recognizes her from years earlier? And why do the local police take such a strong interest in her arrival?


After reading The Last Thing She Remembers, I am unfortunately still on the hunt for a really good thriller.  The premise of this book had a lot of potential.  It just didn't deliver in the end.  The book opens with a woman trying to get into a house that she thinks is hers.  She seems to have amnesia and had lost her identification and phone. All she had on her was a train ticket in her pocket. 

What I didn't like about the book was the pacing.  It was really slow, not like a slow burn. But like I kept looking to see how much time I had left in the audio book.  I found a lot of the book confusing.  There were multiple perspectives with no smooth transitions between them.  Except when the main character was speaking.  Hers was the only one in first person.  There was one surprise in the end that I didn't see coming. However, it wasn't enough to save the book for me. I'm not sure I would recommend this one.  

No comments: