Pages

Friday, June 21, 2019

Review: Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett

Author: Jenn Bennett
Publihser: Simon Pulse
Date of publicaiton: April 2018

Ever since last year’s homecoming dance, best friends-turned-best enemies Zorie and Lennon have made an art of avoiding each other. It doesn’t hurt that their families are the modern-day Californian version of the Montagues and Capulets.

But when a group camping trip goes south, Zorie and Lennon find themselves stranded in the wilderness. Alone. Together.

What could go wrong?

With no one but each other for company, Zorie and Lennon have no choice but to hash out their issues via witty jabs and insults as they try to make their way to safety. But fighting each other while also fighting off the forces of nature makes getting out of the woods in one piece less and less likely.

And as the two travel deeper into Northern California’s rugged backcountry, secrets and hidden feelings surface. But can Zorie and Lennon’s rekindled connection survive out in the real world? Or was it just a result of the fresh forest air and the magic of the twinkling stars?
 


Starry Eyes is a YA contemporary that involves a sweet friends to lovers to enemies to lovers again trope.  Zorie and Lennon (I loved his name) used to be best friends.  But something happened on Homecoming night that broke up their friendship and budding romance.  When they find themselves on the same camping trip and they are abandoned by their friends, Zorie and Lennon must work together to find their way out of the forest.

I'll admit at first, I didn't love this one in the beginning.  I though it was a little over the top.  I mean Zorie's parent own a spa that is next to a sex toy shop owned by Lennon's two mothers. THat part isn't what bothered me. I was just worried it was going to end up being cheesy.  Instead, I was pleasantly surprised.  I ended up enjoying the story.  Both Zorie and Lennon were dealing with some issues and end up being able to work through them with the help of the other. The big falling out at Homecoming was all a misunderstanding and lack of communication.  But, their time in the woods was well spent as they talked out everything and cleared the air.  Can I just say that I would have loved a boy like Lennon in my life when I was a teen.  It's worth a read.  I would recommend it to the older YA crown though.  There is some content (while done tastefully and responsibly) that I don't think younger YA readers are ready for.


No comments: