Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Review: The Secrets We Bury by Debra Webb

Author: Debra Webb
Publisher: MIRA
Date of publication: April 2019

Nothing stays buried forever…

Doctor Rowan Dupont knows death. She grew up surrounded by it in her family’s Victorian funeral home, and it’s haunted her since the day her twin sister drowned years ago. Between her mother’s subsequent suicide and the recent murder of her father, coming home to run the funeral home feels fitting—even if it leaves her vulnerable to an obsessive serial killer.

Rowan refuses to let fear keep her from honoring her family. But the more time she spends back in Winchester, Tennessee, the more she finds herself questioning what really happened that fateful summer. Had her sister’s death truly been an accident? And what pushed their mother to take her own life? The dark lake surrounding Rowan’s hometown holds as many secrets as the bodies that float in its chilling depths. But Rowan is running out of time if she’s going to uncover the truth before somebody sinks her for good.

The Secrets We Bury was a good solid mystery and one I did enjoy.  Rowan is a psychiatrist who has returned to her home town to take over the family's funeral home business.   When old bones show up near the place her sister drowned years before, she finds herself pulled into a decades old mystery that could bring answers to what really happened to her sister.

As I said, I did enjoy the mystery as well as the characters.  I liked Rowan even though she had a couple of TSTL moments.  Thankfully, she didn't have many.  I also liked her friend, Billy, the Police Chief.  I'm not sure if they will eventually hook up as the series goes on, but I could see them together.  There was definitely some attraction, at least on Billy's side.  I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes.  There was a nice twist toward the end of the book that took me by surprise.  

My only gripe is that I wish I had known there was a novella that came before this one. I felt a bit lost at times when the serial killer who is stalking Rowan was brought up.  I didn't feel like there was enough background given to fill in the gaps that I was missing.  I'll have to go back and read The Undertaker's Daughter so I am all caught up.  I'm assuming this book probably spoils the novella, so you might want to read it before this one.   I'm looking forward to reading the next book, Lies We Tell when it comes out in September.


No comments: