Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Review: Under Currents by Nora Roberts

Author: Nora Roberts
Publisher: St. Martin Press
Date of publication: July 2019

Zane Bigelow grew up in a beautiful, perfectly kept house in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains. Strangers―and even Zane’s own aunt across the lake―see his parents as a successful surgeon and his stylish wife, making appearances at their children’s ballet recitals and baseball games. Only Zane and his sister know the truth, until one brutal night finally reveals cracks in the facade, and Zane escapes for college without a thought of looking back...

Years later, Zane returns to his hometown determined to reconnect with the place and people that mean so much to him, despite the painful memories. As he resumes life in the colorful town, he meets a gifted landscape artist named Darby, who is on the run from ghosts of her own. 

Together they will have to teach each other what it means to face the past, and stand up for the ones they love.


I had to take a few days to put together my thoughts on this latest from Nora Roberts. Under Currents is her latest stand alone novel.  I have very mixed feelings about the book.  In a way, I felt like I was reading two very different books.  The first part was a very difficult read.  If child or spousal abuse is a hard subject for you, then proceed with caution.  Nora doesn't hold back.  Then, the book go forward several years and becomes a rambling romance with small smatterings of suspense. Essentially, the book was a lot longer than it needed to be.

Overall, I liked the book.  I enjoyed the characters.  I liked that there was no real angst between Zane and Darby.  I loved their relationship and enjoyed going on their journey into love.  The peripheral characters were great as well.  I loved the family that surrounded Zane and his sister.  What I found lacking was the mystery part.  Or, I could say mysteries.  Because honestly how many different culprits can target a couple realistically in a short span of time.  It wasn't hard to figure out who the culprits were each time.  One of the reveals was so anticlimactic and disappointing.  I think Nora fans will enjoy the book.  I have just read better from her in the past.



1 comment:

Ethan said...

Nora has always been a go to author for my mom, so I naturally never got into her writing lol. I certainly understand the appeal of her writing though!