Pages

Friday, October 4, 2019

Review: Ararat by Christopher Golden

Author: Christopher Golden
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication date: April 2017

When a newly engaged couple climbs Mount Ararat in Turkey, an avalanche forces them to seek shelter inside a massive cave uncovered by the snow fall. The cave is actually an ancient, buried ship that many quickly come to believe is really Noah’s Ark. When a team of scholars, archaeologists, and filmmakers make it inside the ark for the first time, they discover an elaborate coffin in its recesses. The artifact tempts their professional curiosity; so they break it open. Inside, they find an ugly, misshapen cadaver—not the holy man that they expected, a hideous creature with horns. A massive blizzard blows in, trapping them in that cave thousands of meters up the side of a remote mountain…but they are not alone. 

It's October and I have been in the mood for horror.  I had high hopes for this book. While it fell a little short of my expectations, I did enjoy it. Ararat is the first book to feature Ben Walker.  He is a secret agent for DARPA who is sent out to investigate odd discoveries to assess their usefulness as a weapon for or as a threat to the US government.  When there is an earthquake in Turkey, he is sent to investigate a cave the might contain the elusive Noah's Ark.

The one thing that I did enjoy about this book was the way the author set the atmosphere.  I could almost feel the cold snow and biting wind.  I was immediately immersed in the tension and suspense that permeated the cave.  There were a lot of characters and aside from our main character, Ben Walker,  no one person was safe from anything or anyone.  In a way it reminded me of the movie The Thing where you never know who to trust.  I love books like that.

I did like Ben Walker as a main character.  I felt like I got to know him and his motivations fairly well.  I cared about whether he would be left alive in the end.  I am looking forward to reading the next book that features him, The Pandora Room.    As far as the horror aspect,  it was a bit gory.  If you don't like "blood and guts" murder, you won't like this one.   That all being said, I did find it a little predictable, especially the little twist ending.  It was exactly what I predicted would happen.    In all, it was a good start to get me in a spooky mindset for the month.



No comments: