Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Review: Killing November by Adriana Mather

Author:Adriana Mather
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: March 2019

It’s a school completely off the grid, hidden by dense forest and surrounded by traps. There’s no electricity, no internet, and an eye-for-an-eye punishment system. Classes include everything from Knife-Throwing and Poisons to the Art of Deception and Historical Analysis. And all of the students are children of the world’s most elite strategists—training to become assassins, counselors, spies, and master impersonators. Into this world walks November Adley, who quickly discovers that friends are few in a school where personal revelations are discouraged and competition is everything. When another student is murdered, all eyes turn to November, who must figure out exactly how she fits into the school’s bizarre strategy games before she is found guilty of the crime…or becomes the killer’s next victim. 


For the most part, I enjoyed Killing November.  It is, in some ways, a typical boarding school YA mystery.   I liked the setting and the main character.  I kind of felt badly for her because she had been lied to and found herself in a strange situation.  I also liked most of the supporting characters, especially the ones that became her allies.  I won't say who because you can't really trust anyone in this book.  I was kept guessing as to the identity of the murderer.  So why didn't I love it?


If there is one thing I have can't stand in books is when a character ends up some place, like a school, secret island, or facility that has rules.  Why would that annoy me?  Well, when the main character has no idea what the rules are and no one around said main character will give a clue as to what the rules are, yet they expect the character to follow them. (Can we say The Maze Runner?) Sorry for that mini rant, but that is what really frustrated me about this book.  That entire scenario went on way too long and just irritated me.  Had November not been such an interesting character, I might have DNF'd the book.   However, I did end up liking the book enough to want to read the next book to see what happens with November and the search for her father.  

No comments: