Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Review: The Pandora Room by Christopher Golden

Author: Christopher Golden
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: April 2019

In one ancient variation on the myth of Pandora's Box, there were two jars, one for Pandora and one for her sister, Anesidora. One contained all the blessings of the gods, the other all the world's curses. Now, in a subterranean city in Northern Iraq, archaeologist Sophie Durand has discovered a secret chamber covered in writing that confirms that version of the tale--a chamber which contains a single jar. "Weird shit" expert Ben Walker joins Sophie's team just as the mystery deepens and grows ugly. Those who believe the myth want to know which jar has been found in the Pandora Room, the one containing blessings, or the one full of curses. Governments rush to lay claim, but jihadi forces aren't waiting for the dust to settle. Whatever the jar contains, they want it, no matter who they have to kill...or what will emerge when they open it. For Sophie, Walker, and the others, the Pandora Room may soon become their tomb.

The Pandora Room is the second book featuring DARPA operative Ben Walker.  This time around, he is called to Iraq to investigate an unusual find in an archaeological dig. If Ben Walker is on the case, you know the find has the potential to be dangerous.

While I enjoyed this one, I didn't like it was much as the first book, Ararat.  There were some creepy scenes and moments that I was holding my breath waiting to see who would make it out alive.  I also still like Ben Walker as a character. I fewlt like I got to know him a little better in this book.  Kim,from the first book, is in this one was well.  She is suffering from PTSD from the events of the first book.  I thought that was fairly realistic because you would expect there to be residual effects from a horrifying experience.'  I"m not sure I loved where their relationship went here.

The story overall, was just kind of OK.  I kind of felt like there wasn't anything very unique about it.  It really reminded me of the first book, right down to the evil and the possessions.  I wish the story was in a different setting.  Once again, they are isolated and have to go through harrowing conditions to escape.  Hopefully, the next book will be a fresh story.  I do like this character and I want to see what he does next.


No comments: