Pages

Friday, November 1, 2019

Review: A Stranger on the Beach by Michelle Campbell

Author:Michelle Campbell
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: July 2019

There is a stranger outside Caroline's house.

Her spectacular new beach house, built for hosting expensive parties and vacationing with the family she thought she'd have. But her husband is lying to her and everything in her life is upside down, so when the stranger, Aiden, shows up as a bartender at the same party where Caroline and her husband have a very public fight, it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

As her marriage collapses around her and the lavish lifestyle she's built for herself starts to crumble, Caroline turns to Aiden for comfort...and revenge. After a brief and desperate fling that means nothing to Caroline and everything to him, Aiden's obsession with Caroline, her family, and her house grows more and more disturbing. And when Caroline's husband goes missing, her life descends into a nightmare that leaves her accused of her own husband's murder.


A Stranger on the Beach is a psychological thriller with at least one unreliable narrator.  I won't giveaway which one it is.  However, if you pay close enough attention, it's not hard to figure it out.  The story is told through 3 perspectives.  Your job is to figure out who is lying and what really happened.

I wish I loved this one, but I just didn't.  I found the characters to be incredibly stupid.  I know that there are reasons that some of them come across that way.  But it got annoying and frustrating. Don't get me started on that police detective. I thought it was fairly predictable.  I called the twist in the end.  About 40% in, I made a prediction and was right.  I think I may be in the minority when it comes to this book.  Give it a try, maybe you will like it more than me.



No comments: