Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Throwback Thursday: His Trophy Wife by Leigh Michaels



Author: Leigh Michaels
First published in 2001 by Harlequin
Audiobook released in 2016 and read by Paula Slade

When Morganna Ashworth's father died, leaving her his debts, Sloan Montgomery realized he could finally achieve his two lifelong ambitions: the acquisition of a socially acceptable wife, and revenge on the Ashworth family!

In return for him paying off the debts, Morganna became Mrs. Sloan Montgomery. But once they were wed, Sloan didn't bargain on falling deeply in love with his trophy wife! Especially considering all the secrets and lies between them...
.


As I was reading His Trophy Wife, I kept having the feeling that this book was written well before 2001.  With the exception of an occasional mention of a cell phone, this book could have taken place in the 70s or 80s. IT jsut felt kind of less 21st century than it was supposed to be.  At any rate, this is a story of a marriage of convenience that turns into something more.

I have to admit that I didn't care for this story.  I really didn't see the romance in it at all.  Morganna and Sloan had no chemistry.  She was basically blackmailed into marrying him and for the most of the book, she hates him.  I really didn't see how she fell for him in the end.  There was a little mystery that kind of saved the story. But not enough to say I loved it.

I listened to this on Audible.  I thought the narration of the audiobook was well done. I liked Paula Slade's voice.  It was enough to keep me listening to the end.


No comments: