Pages

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Books We Didn't Finish - July edition



By Your Side:   About 2 pages in, the main character says: "What did people do without cell phones" while standing in a library filled with books.  I knew it was going to go downhill from there.  I also have to ask, what library doesn't have a front desk with a working phone?  Her friends suck because they left without her and why didn't she pull the fire alarm when she first figured out she couldn't get out.  Finally, NO public building would only have one entrance/exit.  That would violate all fire safety codes.  I'm not sure what kind of libraries the author has been in, but I couldn't suspend my disbelief even for that.

Little Heaven:  I spent the first quarter of the book totally confused as to what was happening and the second quarter totally bored.  Honestly, I'm really not sure what was going on in this book.  This is the second book by this author that I have DNF'd.  I think I'll just chalk it up to being not for me.

Meddling Kids: While I loved all of the references to Scooby-Doo that made me feel nostalgic, it wasn't enough to save this story.  I really wanted to like this story, but DNF'd it at 50%.  I spent part of it confused and most of it bored.  I didn't like the format changes.  Adding in the screenplay like scenes in the middle of a chapter was weird and brought me right out of the narrative.

No comments: