Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Go the F**k to Sleep

Author: Adam Mansbach
Illustrator: Ricardo Cortes
Publisher: OPen Road Media (Akashic Books) (June 2011)


Go the F**k to Sleep is a bedtime book for parents who live in the real world, where a few snoozing kitties and cutesy rhymes don’t always send a toddler sailing blissfully off to dreamland. Profane, affectionate, and radically honest, it captures the familiar—and unspoken—tribulations of putting your little angel down for the night. Beautiful, subversive, and pants-wettingly funny, Go the F**k to Sleep is a book for parents new, old, and expectant. You probably should not read it to your children.

When I read the description of this book on Netgalley, I knew I had to read it. Anyone who has children, has probably said these words to themselves at one point. As the mother of 2 children who resist sleep at every opportunity, I could relate to every page in this book! The book looks like a sweet little bedtime story, with beautiful illustrations. But what you get is a hilarious tale about a parent who wants their kid to sleep. This would make a great gift for a new parent with a sense of humor.

Recently, the book's release was celebrated at the New York Public Library. You can get a peek inside the event via Open Road Media's blog post here, which includes photographs of author Adam Mansbach, illustrator Ricardo Cortés, print publisher Johnny Temple, Paul Holdengråber from the NYPL, Judah Friedlander from 30 Rock, and links to more coverage around the web.

I definitely recommend this one if you want a laugh! But please, don't read it to your kids. This one is for the parents.

--Kari


* note: I read a complimentary copy of Go the F**k to Sleep supplied courtesy of the publisher via Netgalley. I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

1 comment:

Danielle Zappavigna said...

I read this recently myself and think it's totally hilarious and good therapy for parents :-) Definitely one for the bookshelf!