Pages

Friday, January 11, 2019

Review: Kill Creek by Scott Thomas

Author: Scott Thomas
Publisher: Inkshares
Date of publication: October 2017

At the end of a dark prairie road, nearly forgotten in the Kansas countryside, lies the Finch House. For years it has perched empty, abandoned, and overgrown--but soon the door will be opened for the first time in many decades. But something waits, lurking in the shadows, anxious to meet its new guests. 

When best-selling horror author Sam McGarver is invited to spend Halloween night in one of the country's most infamous haunted houses, he reluctantly agrees. At least he won't be alone; joining him are three other masters of the macabre, writers who have helped shape modern horror. But what begins as a simple publicity stunt soon becomes a fight for survival--the entity they have awakened will follow them, torment them, threatening to make them part of the bloody legacy of Kill Creek.



You all know I have been on the hunt for a good haunted house story.  I had high hopes for Kill Creek.  It was a random audio pick and I loved it. The story involves four famous horror authors who are invited to stay in a haunted house overnight as a publicity stunt for a well known YouTuber.   The events at the house are largely uneventful, however when they get back home things aren't quite the same.

This book was everything that I wanted in a haunted house story.  I loved the mythology behind the mansion's haunting.  It was a really unique take on a haunting.  The characters were interesting.  The writers all wrote horror, but in different sub-genres.  I especially liked Sam. I think he was the one I was rooting for the most.  The twist in the end was perfect and one I totally didn't see that coming!  I will warn that there is a lot of gore, so if that isn't your thing, you might want to skip this one.  I do recommend it to horror fans.  It's a great debut and I can't wait to see what this author does next!



1 comment:

Ethan said...

I also love a good haunted house story. I've been craving a good spooky read since watching and loving The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix.